Thursday, October 23, 2008

Digital Technology Headaches

As the DTV day approaches, I'm sure many people out there are thinking why the government is mandating the switch to a digital signal since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the old analog signal.  Although I cannot speak for the government, I am guessing the switch has to do with how everything else in this world seems to be going digital.  This includes pictures, movies, music and anything else having to do with computers.  Although we may not like the idea that our world is going digital, we have to deal with it and all the headaches that go along with it.

I for one am a personal advocate for digital technology.  I consider myself a very techie person and enjoy the quality digital media provides.  However, I also dislike when digital technology gets the best of me.  This happened to me earlier tonight in fact.  I was taking an online midterm exam for my web design class when something happened causing me to be booted from my exam when I was about halfway done.  Needless to say I was feeling pretty frustrated with digital technology at that point.  I just kept thinking this would never have happened if I would have been taking an exam in class the old fashioned way.  Then I realized that if the technology didn't exist to take an online test or to do anything else online, then there probably wouldn't be a need for a web design class either and I would have to look for something else to minor in.  This helped to ease the pain slightly, but I'm still hoping my teacher will have a heart and let me take it again.  

I'm sure there will be some people out there feeling the same frustrations when they make the switch to digital television.  The signal may not come in the greatest and the screen will freeze up at the most inopportune time.  When that happens, just keep in mind that technology advances may be frustrating at times, but sometimes you have to take the bad if you want the good that goes along with it.  Often times, too, I've found the good outweighs the bad when it comes to digital media.  Just remember to keep that in mind when you are watching your favorite football team attempt a game winning touchdown during the next Superbowl only to have the digital picture freeze up as the ball is flying into the end zone.  


No comments: