Tuesday, December 9, 2008

As we wait for DTV Transition day to approach....



As you can see from the above countdown clock there isn't much time left until DTV Transition day.  Since this is my last official blog post on the subject, I decided to rundown some things that I have learned over the past few months while researching the subject.     

The first thing I learned about the DTV Transition is that it is actually happening.  I know that sounds pretty crazy, but you can watch the commercials and scrolls all day, and never really grasp the fact that this is an actual event that will take place on February 17, 2009.  I am pretty sure there are still people out there who still haven't gotten to this state of realization that I have reached.  For them, I suggest going back and reading over my blogs to really inform themselves about the transition and what it will mean to them.

The next thing I learned involves the dissemination of information.  The government, along with many other companies selling converter boxes, have tried several different methods to get the information out to the consumer, including a contest involving YouTube and ambitious individuals who like to make videos.  (Incidentally, the winner of the contest, jkierangarvey, was named today.  See the last blog for the top 5 videos including the winning video.)  The different types of advertising and methods used to inform the public about the DTV Transition show the lengths people have gone to to get the information out.  I just hope all of this effort will have helped come February.

One of the last things I learned about the DTV Transition has less to do with the transition and more to do with the idea of it.  During the past few weeks, I have been learning more about Michael Bugeja's theories involving interpersonal communication or more like how media has affected the use of it.  After thinking a lot about the DTV Transition and how it will affect our lives, I began to realize that because this new technology is being forced upon us, we must take the time out of our lives to adapt to this changing technology.  This is time that could be spent with loved ones or at a community function and, as Bugeja is quick to point out, is something that we are already lacking.  Also because this new technology will bring a far superior picture than the old rabbit ears used to pick up, even more people may be more apt to choose to stay home to enjoy their new found technology.    

I really hope my blogs have helped you understand the DTV Transition as much as they have helped me understand the need to talk about it.  If you still have any questions about the transition, you can still search the DTV.gov site to get more information.  While your there you can take the quiz to become a DTV Deputy just like me!! 



1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm actually very apprehensive about this! Partially just because I still don't fully understand it (big surprise, I know) But I completely agree with the thought of "it's actually happening"... It still seems a ways away, but I know that it's actually not...at all.