Saturday, December 6, 2008

DTV Convert Now Contest

As you may remember I posted a blog a few months ago about the DTV Convert Now contest that the Consumer Electronics Association was sponsoring.  For those of you who don't remember, the idea behind the contest was to make a video and post it on YouTube telling people about the DTV Transition.  I received a blog post the other day telling me they picked the five finalists, so I decided I would analyze them and post them on here for you to help pick the winner.

The first video is from YouTube user modeeb2.  


I think this video does a good job explaining the DTV Transition and the need for the converter box, but is just very cheesy.  The weird water in the background noise is very distracting and the theme reminds me of a classic kung fu movie.  Maybe this video would have been more enjoyable to me if they would have spoken in Chinese and dubbed in English words over the top.  Overall though the video has a good message so I can see why it was chosen for the top five.  

The next video is from YouTube user frankcaliva.


I'm really not sure why this video was chosen.  Again the message was pretty good, but the cheesy acting really made me want to turn it off right away.  I think it is important when trying to convey a message to the audience about something as important as the DTV Transition that the message is appealing to the viewer.  I think this was a good effort and could have been a top pick with a little better acting.  

Finalist number three is YouTube user shtickmen.

Again, we have yet another cheesy video, this time using stick figures and annoying background narration.  I do have to admit I chuckled a little when the hand came in with the converter box coupon.  It was really hard to get the message though because the stick figures were distracting and the narrators sounded like they had just abused some illegal drugs.  This one doesn't rate very high on my scale either.


jkierangarvey is the next YouTube user who qualified for the top five.

This video starts off much like the movie The Blair Witch Project.  I think he was trying to make the transition seem less scary, but it really took a while to get to the point of the video, which was supposed to be about making the DTV Transition.  I guess the message was there, but it really didn't seem as strong as the other videos I've featured so far.  I do like the content of this one more, but the contest is really supposed to be about the transition so I don't know if this video is the best candidate to win either.  

The final video of the top five is from YouTube user jhbmw007.


This video is very reminiscent of the Ren and Stimpy cartoons that were on television in the 1990's.  It is also very creatively put together and very funny.  Although the video is short and to the point, the message is still clear and presented in a way where people want to keep watching.  I could see this video being used on television in the future to promote the DTV Transition.  This one definitely gets my vote.

I think this contest was a good way to get the word out about the DTV Transition.  The way the Consumer Electronics Association used new media produced by online users to inform other online users about the transition reminds me of a concept from John Pavlik's book Media in the Digital Age.  Pavlik outlines four different forms of media and role each form plays in the online environment.  The forth form, which is original content designed for the digital domain, is exactly what was done with this contest.  I think it will be interesting to see if the winning video makes it off the web and back on to the television.  Pavlik may have to add an additional form for original online content that transitions back to traditional media.

Before I forget, if you would like the opportunity to vote for the winning videos, you can go to http://www.dtvtransition.org/vote/index.php and enter your email address.  You will then receive an email with a link to go and vote.  The winner will be announced on December 10, 2008, so vote early and check back then to find out the winner.  

No comments: